Freedom Folks

Friday, December 30, 2005

Two Days 'Til The Bald Chick Book

Yes! It's a shameless plug, from a shameless chick!

I am self-publishing my book, The Bald Chick: Life Outside the Comfort Zone. It will be available as an e-book on January 1st on my website.

What's it all about, I hear you cry? And, in response, I give you the first few paragraphs. I am such a tease...

WOW! A bald woman! Now that’s something you don’t see every day. Well, I see it every day…when I look in the mirror and The Bald Chick stares back at me. I like her. I even think she’s kinda groovy, but I may have some small bias on the subject. At any rate, there are plenty of people who haven’t yet reached my level of acceptance.

Some of them appear unable to get past the initial shock of seeing a bald woman stroll into their comfortable lives. Some have gotten past the shock, but can’t seem to make up their minds as to what they think about it. Some probably harbor resentment towards me because I am clearly very comfortable without the hair -- and without their approval. Still others, I’m sure, think that I’m a poor soul so desperate for attention that I’d shave my head to get it.

Whatever their initial gut reaction is, though, I’d bet cash money that what they all want to know, perhaps despite themselves, is this one simple thing: why the #$&!@ did I shave my head? Why in the world would a seemingly intelligent, relatively rational young woman shave her head? It’s a valid question. While seeing a man with a proudly shaven head strolling down the street has become quite common, a woman is another matter entirely. My shiny pate seems to cause not only questions, but also incredulity, alarm, and sometimes even anger. So let’s start out by clearing up a few obvious misapprehensions about my lack of hair.

I do not have cancer or alopecia. I am not a Buddhist. I am not the victim of a terrible industrial accident. I am not (officially) mentally ill. I did not lose a bet. I did not “slip” while shaving my armpits. I do not have a disturbing and inexplicable desire to resemble a light bulb. I have not embarked on a fervent but misguided mission to get myself cast in an embarrassingly bad sci-fi project. While I do find Michael Jordan, Bruce Willis, Andre Agassi, Patrick Stewart, Vin Diesel and Michael Chiklis madly attractive, my own willful baldness is in no way homage to any of the aforementioned stud muffins.
Intrigued? A girl can hope...